1. Why is the movie entitled “Transcendence”? Transcendence meaning climbing or going beyond limitations . When Depp’s character, Will, got shot and almost killed but then survived. A few weeks later he got seriously ill and has only a month to live. His adoring wife Evelyn, decided to upload his consciousness into a super computer with the help of their friend Maxx.
Doing this means going beyond the limits, although we know that some of us has the ability to build a computer with same like capacity of the human brain but uploading someone’s consciousness on a computer is really out of the box or have gone beyond our limitations. This is why the movie is entitled “Transcendence”.
2. Relate the movie to our subject biotech. Transcendence is a science fiction movie. So as we can see it talks about science if we set aside all the dramas and romance.
This movie shows Stem Cell Engineering and cloning, that we all know is under Modern Biotechnology. On some part of the movie, we saw dried plants turning into a healthy plant and then blind person gaining their sense of seeing back. The AI or Will’s consciousness uploaded in the super computer treats living things diseases by regenerating new cells. Also near the ending of the movie Will shows up, but as we know he died already. It’s because he cloned his self.
3. Discuss each concept of the movie in terms of the off:
A. Bioinformatics for the Movie. It seems that in the movie they have technology in the higher level. And they use it to develop and analyze the genes of living things. Expert says that bioinformatics always considered a combination of both sciences, along with other contributing disciplines. Like what was say in the first sentence bioinformatics use technology that in in field of computer science, where the movie make the world renew not new. Where their goal is to revive the living things in the world for us to survive the climate change. Transcendence focuses in experimenting the nature.
B. Bioremediation Bioremediation is the treatment that uses naturally occurring organisms to break down hazardous substances into less toxic or non toxic substances. Where in transcendence they created a gene that have a characteristic to eliminate or to remove or neutralize pollutant from contaminated site. Like in the last part of the movie where the sap of a sunflower drop to a water that have like a oil and then evaporates and the water become clean. That is the success of their work.
C. Gene Therapy Gene therapy is the transplantation of a new gene into cells in place of missing or defective ones in order to correct genetic disorders. Back to the movie transcendence there are some seen that they are helping people that has disabilities like blind mind, break legs and more . Where they inject something in the body of a human that heals their body.
D. Stem Cell eng. tech Stem cell engineering is the concept where the stem cell is use to produce and type of cell to regenerate damage or dead cell. In the movie transcendence the human that had been cure by Dr. Will Caster. Become a special human. Where even they have a wound it can heal easily and back to a normal body part. This is the use of stem cell.
E. Cloning Cloning is the process of producing similar populations of genetically identical individuals that occurs in nature when organisms such as bacteria, insects or plants reproduce asexually. We all know that in the movie transcendence, Dr. Will Caster died and his body is cremated. In the climax part of it computer Dr. Will Caster successfully create a clone of his self not just a clone even the mind at memory of him is there and the love of him. Where he uses his gene to the experiment and create a new man that looks like, feel like and thinks like him.
4. Give at least 5 bioethical issues that concerned you during the screening of the movie. Cite and Discuss. The first bioethical issue in the movie is Human Cloning, as we saw during the last few parts of the movie , Depp’s character, Will, was cloned. Some religious groups oppose this because it is like surpassing God, because you make human using technology but some says it has potential life saving benefits.
Second one is the Singularity, accelerating progress in technologies such as artificial intelligence that cause non-human intelligence to exceed human intelligence and may cause human civilization to be radically changed or possibly destroyed. There are potentials that AI/Artificial Mind dominates the world or humans because it surpasses or level of intelligence. Third bioethical issue that is shown in the movie is Life Extension or Anti-Aging, they don’t die since their cells keep regenerating so fast, it is like being immortal since you don’t age and you broke the natural process of growing old and dying.
Fourth one is Stem Cell Engineering, the stem cell controversy is the ethical debate centered only with research involving the creation, usage, and destruction of human embryos. And the last one is Suicide, also on the last part of the movie, Evelyn, chose to die which can also be considered as suicide. And in most forms of Christianity, suicide is considered a sin
5. What portion of the movie that you are interested most? explain. The portion of the movie that we are interested most is , the part when Evelyn started to upload the monkey’s consciousness into a super intelligent computer , The discovery of Evelyn is the key where in they try it to upload the consciousness of will caster too , for him not to die . but whether they like it or not caster will die eventually. She try it and ignore the criticism of other.
Until Will caster become alive again but in the use of computer speech synthesizers only . We are also interested In the part when “Caster” started to heal an actual person , where in he not only heals the body of the person but he improves also every part of it . and in the end they will be a servant to caster and they will be manipulated by the technology that caster had develop.