Introduction Nowadays, cosmetic surgery has become more popular for modern people. Some people believe that it is a science to improve the beauty of a person. On the other hand, there are some people disagree with it. People said that cosmetic surgery involves risk which may cause serious diseases such as heart attack. Both of the side have their own reasonable reason based on should or should not ban cosmetic surgery.
Agree to ban the cosmetic surgery
Point 1: Costly
- When people decide to undergo cosmetic surgery, they often consult a professional who gives them an estimate as to the cost
- The actual cost can rise dramatically over the estimate, leading patients to suffer pressure to pay the entire amount even if they cannot afford it.
Point 2: Negative effect of cosmetic surgery
- People with a sensitive body are most susceptible and vulnerable to infections from the surgery.
- The result of the cosmetic surgery might not turn according to your desires.
- Possibility of death cannot be ruled out during plastic surgery.
Point 3: Cosmetic surgery made people forgot their originality look
- People should not be changing the way they are to be prettier or anything because all they had are come from their parents.
- Confucius said that ‘it is first step of piety that body, hair and skin are not allowed to be self-wounded because they were born by parents.
Point 4: The pretty or handsome appearance does not equal to have the benefit
- The Harvard Medical School psychologist ‘Nancy Etcodd says looking good has survival value, and that sensitivity to beauty is a biological adaptation governed by brain circuits shaped by natural selection.
- It it not necessary to go under the knife just to look good because there is not only beauty lie in the eye of the beholder.
- They believe if they look good that they can get more things in society for no reason.
Point 5: The cosmetic surgery was influenced social value.
- As we know that, the social value of we learn is everything is fair, no matter what gentle, race, religion, background people.
- But if mind set of people was change, everything will break, the social order will down and the value of social changed.
- How do you think about the changing of social environment if the social value had changed?
Disagree to ban the cosmetic surgery
Point 1: Physical benefits
- For those with a physical deformity, such as mastectomy patients, children born with a cleft lip and individuals with scarring, cosmetic surgery is helpful.
- It also helps people who are not physically deformed, but who have a problem with specific body parts by correcting their perceived flaws and women who suffering after breast cancer surgery
- Plastic surgery can also be restorative procedure, where returning the body to its original state after accident, injury or other events
Point 2: Psychological benefits
- Cosmetic surgery gives patients higher self-esteem. By fixing body issues, patients have greater confidence in themselves.
- Patients who like their body have a higher self-confidence.
- Social confidence leads a person to make contact with others.
- Help gaining confident to those who has physical defect for example: breast cancer patient after having breast removing surgery, they can choose to have a new breast.
Point 3: Good looking helps your personal and business relationship Personal:
- Give people a better impression when first time meet.
- Got the chance to know more friends.
- Easier to get help from others.
- More people will take the initiative to know about you before you know them Business:
- Take the advantages, such as, easier to hit the sales target.
- Colleagues are always willing to help you on the thing you don’t know.
- Got more opportunity recruit by the company.
- Easier to get notice from everyone.
Point 4: Freedom to do the cosmetic surgery
- If that particular person is happy with it, then he/she can just go with it.
- We can’t stop another people’s right to do what he/she wants if he/she doesn’t harm anybody.
- Cosmetic surgery doesn’t effect in anyone, only have effect on the person.
In conclusion, cosmetic surgery can be broken into 2 groups, cosmetic, which is optional, and reconstructive, which is not optional but needed. We believe cosmetic surgery should be banned when optional, but for those who require it to live, it is definitely acceptable. Lastly, we think that people should be content themselves and do not be so hung up on their looks.
- Rohrich, Rod J., and Joel E. Pessa. “The fat compartments of the face: anatomy and clinical implications for cosmetic surgery.” Plastic and reconstructive surgery 119.7 (2007): 2219-2227.
- Edgerton, Milton T., W. E. Jacobson, and Eugene Meyer. “Surgical-psychiatric study of patients seeking plastic (cosmetic) surgery: ninety-eight consecutive patients with minimal deformity.” British journal of plastic surgery 13 (1960): 136-145.
- Davis, Kathy. Reshaping the female body: The dilemma of cosmetic surgery. Routledge, 2013.