The benefits of physical fitness are numerous and include better health, greater strength, more flexibility, increased energy, improved appearance, and a more positive attitude and mood. Regular exercise can lead to both immediate and long-term benefits. Regular physical activity has been shown to reduce the morbidity and mortality from many chronic diseases. The benefits of fitness far outweigh the inconveniences of regular exercise. To reap the maximum benefits of physical fitness, remember that your program should include all the main five components of physical fitness.
These are the health related fitness components like cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, muscular endurance and muscle strength. There are in fact other components of physical fitness but they are skill related and less important. Physical fitness is considered a measure of the body’s ability to function efficiently and effectively in work and leisure activities, to be healthy, to resist hypo kinetic diseases, and to meet emergency situations. Physical fitness is generally achieved through • physical activity and exercise, • correct nutrition, • enough rest (good quality sleep), • Stress management and relaxation.
The benefit of the physical fitness is endless. Explore some of the benefits of fitness leading to healthy lifestyle and learn how you will get benefited from them:
1: Reduces risk of disease People who participate in regular exercise have a decreased risk of developing:
- heart disease
- metabolic syndrome
- colon cancer
- lung cancer
- breast cancer
2. Development of physical fitness components Development of physical fitness components such as muscle strength and endurance, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, agility, speed, bone density etc and improvement of muscle tone.
3. Provide better health Regular physical exercise increases both the size and strength of the heart. It can pump more blood with less effort and becomes more efficient. This will lower pulse and lower the blood pressure which can increase lifespan. The circulatory system is also improved because of increased blood volume providing more oxygen to the muscles. These effects will translate into a reduced risk for heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. Significant cardiovascular health benefits can be attained with long-term participation in cardiovascular exercise.
4. Lower your Cholesterol levels. The benefits of physical fitness extend to their ability to help you control your cholesterol. They raise your levels of ‘good’ cholesterol and drop your levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol.
5. Builds stronger Bones, Joints and Ligaments Physical activity results in the strengthening of our bones and muscles. It can substantially reduce the risk or arthritis and other bone diseases. Weight bearing exercise is shown to increase bone density and also prevent bone loss as we get older. This can reduce the onset and severity of osteoporosis. Resistance training does a great job. The strain that it puts on your body helps build bigger, stronger bones. Different kinds of strength training put strain on your joints. This actually helps your body strengthen connective tissue in those joints. These tissues become stronger, more flexible and less prone to injury. Increased blood supply means better nutrition for the tissues and better removal of waste products which helps improve the health and durability.
6. Maintenance of Optimal Body Weight Physical activity increases the muscle mass, reduces fat and thus controls weight. It is proven that physical fitness can control your body weight and prevent obesity and other weight-related problems. By combining the right physical workouts with a proper and balanced diet, you can expect weight loss, reduced body fat and a more firm and fit body. Aerobic exercise burns calories during the duration of the exercise and strength training burns calories in the 24 hour period following the training.
7. Improves your sleeping habits One of the benefits of physical fitness is that it provides you sound sleep and improves your sleeping habits. Studies show that people who exercise regularly and are physically fit – fall asleep more easily and sleep longer than those who do not exercise and are physically unfit. Because of cooling off after exercise, your body temperature drops leading to deeper sleep.
8. Boost in energy level Exercise improves the blood flow in the body and promotes better sleep, both of which boost energy. A regular exercise program, especially in the mornings, will give you energy and drive for the rest of the day. This effect is related to the increased metabolism associated with a fitter body.
9. Improved Appearance Physical activity build muscle mass and burns excess fat. It tones body muscles helping you to look fit and healthy. Healthy active people almost always have great skin tone and look fresh, less fatigued.
10. Relaxation and Stress relief There are so many stress factors in our day to day life. Because of lifestyle changes, change in the environment, people live under extreme stress in this competitive world. Regular physical activity, fitness workouts releases the hormones which have “feel good factor. ”It helps in reducing your stress levels and gives you more strength to fight life’s challenges.
11. Fights Depression Effects of physical activity and exercise on mood are immediate. Blood flow to the brain is increased, endorphins are released and your mood lifts. These endorphins make you feel better and fight stress and depression.
12. Causes Delayed Aging Among the several benefits of physical fitness, delayed aging leading to positive thinking and improved self perception is the most sought after. Regular physical activity reverses the natural decline in the metabolism of the body. Daily exercise is found to keep a person productive and energetic for a longer period of the day. Regular physical activity postpones the process of aging and increases the longevity of life.
13. Makes you feel happier Physical activity has important role in keeping your body fit. Exercise causes your body to release endorphins which has a “feel good factor”. Because of these endorphins you feel happier.
14. Postpones fatigue The benefits of physical fitness include the postponement of fatigue and reduced recovery time after vigorous activity.
15. Boost your Confidence Physical fitness provides correct posture, figure, body image, and good appearance along with increased energy levels. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, which is a boost to confidence.
16. Utilization of Time Through Participation in physical fitness program, leisure (free) time is properly utilized and make you fit and healthy.
17. Improve your overall health.
Physical fitness provides you the optimum physical health, general well being and mental stability. In other words it improves your overall health and you can live your life to the fullest. 18. Healthier, longer Life All together, the benefits of physical fitness give you healthy and more efficient body. Thus it increases your chance of leading a healthier, longer and more fulfilling life. These are some of the more prominent benefits of physical fitness. Everyone can and should participate in a fitness program to improve their quality of life. Living an active and healthy life will make your overall lifestyle much better.